Thread: Licensed Gintama
View Single Post
Old 2011-05-15, 13:29   Link #89
Gooral
Banned

I've recently read two Gintama x Sket Dance crossovers. Basically I agree with what Gintoki said here:
Spoiler:

I've seen first episode of Sket Dance and it was so boring I've had to watch it in parts. I couldn't do it at one go but I wanted to see at least one episode hoping sth interesting would happen. It was even more boring than Gintama's first episode (after first 4 episodes of Gintama I was considering dropping it but fortunately I've prevailed and after seeing episode 8 I've become a fan).

For a series without much action, where the worst thing that can happen is being painted red dialogues should be witty or funny and characters interesting. Unfortunately Sket Dance disappoints on every step / on all accounts. Gintama from the start had funny dialogues and characters were rather interesting, here we have a guy talking via a laptop (talk about idiotic way to make him recognisable), a girl with a stick (another idiotic theme) and another guy with goggles that he puts on in a times of crisis... It's too stupid for my taste (which might sound funny since Gintama is even more stupid but the difference is I see the author laughing at himself and playing with convention, it is a complete parody with lots of trolling of everything and everyone). Maybe I'm too old or the humour is too refined for my taste but that's what I think. And I have to agree that it's a rip-off of Gintama. Parallels are too obvious and I would compare it to Ninku and Naruto where Kishimoto ripped off so many things that I can't believe he wasn't sued.

When you compare both crossovers you will clearly see that the one written by Sorachi had more funny dialogues and overall was better. Some examples:
Kagura: "For a person with a hockey stick as a weapon, if you have a hammer down there, isn't it easier to club your enemies to death?"
and shortly after: "Don't worry, Bossun will still take you even if you grow a hammer".

Gintoki: "Oi, bitches, cut it out. Don't think you can come and go as you please in this world. This aint's school anymore. This is a world where a drill can come flying outta nowhere and destroy your balls. We call that Friday."

And before you criticize me for criticizing let me remind you that it's a Gintama thread so favouring Gintama over anything here is to be expected. I'm not going to Sket Dance thread to start flame wars.

On a different note, on AN appeared an article about Gintama's lack of success in USA.
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote