Thread: Licensed Simoun
View Single Post
Old 2008-06-09, 18:02   Link #2830
Bloodseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFajita View Post
All due respect, Bloodseeker,

But you're overlooking some important things here:

The king does not command the lip-locking, the simouns do. The things won't fly unless the crew swaps spit. If your anticipated maneuver is a real gobstopper, shove your tongue down the auriga's throat. It could work.

I'll leave it at that until you figure out why I'm rolling my eyes.

Quote:
Naviril, you are not an idiot. You are a daughter of a privileged class (and you are sitting in that simoun because you are a member of that class) who is very good at offering Ri Maajon prayers to Tempus Spatium. That the pretty patterns have lethal consequences is not part of your normal workday. The simoun choirs have been used to swat down the occasional interloper, but now at least one nation has been driven to attempt a massive invasion and now your prieshood has "volunteered" your services, because your country, though offering rich rewards for your elite, does not possess enough poor people to slaughter their poor people, thus your leaders cannot maintain their power unless they prostitute your religion. You shouldn't be doing this, and even your head priestesses know this. Therein lies a central conflict in this story, which will be revisited time and time again.
So what, they need the Ri Maajon to kill people in order for it to keep its power? Because that's the only way that what you just said makes sense.

Even if you control with fear, you don't need to leer in rule breakers to slaughter to keep that fear in place, just so long as you remember to harshly punish those that do step out of line.

And you'd think that they'd know that learning an art with mass destructive capabilities = they're going to be called upon to use those mass destructive capabilities sooner or later. They were already brought in in order to scare off invaders prior to the series starting. When you think about it, its actually pretty stupid for them not to be trained and bred as warrior-priests when they're the country's guardians. There's no good reason for them not to be. (in before THATS NOT WHAT THEY ARE EVEN THOUGH THEY'RE USED AS THE CENTRAL SCARE TACTIC TO KEEP THE COUNTRY SAFE THE ONLY THING THAT THEY DO IS OFFER PRAYERS IN THE SKY)

Quote:
Some other conflicts worth mentioning:

Scenes from the class struggle in Simulacra. You get a hint of this in ep #2 (the train ride), but is really gets in your face when Mamina shows up, and even more so when she leaves the series.

Losing my friends: This could be my biggest gripe about the series. Nevril spends the next seven eps emoting over her lost Amaru, but the two girls who went down in the first combat are apparently chopped liver. They're not the last ones. Two more opt for the Spring, because this isn't what they signed up for, and they still have the right to do so.
Just because I don't comment on it doesn't mean that I didn't notice, you know.

Quote:
Losing my nation: Too many spoilers here, so sit back and enjoy the show, particularly ep#22. The "Defense Minister" gets an interesting "Hitler-in-the-bunker" moment, among other things.
I figured that the leader that they currently follow would be the villains eventually. The government and church are ones that control with fear (learning our trade secrets = eternal damnation) and hog valuable resources. And the invading nation has been made to be sympathetic, where as the one that they fight for doesn't really have a sympathetic argument going for it.

Also, could you avoid dropping hints or spoilers, please?

Quote:
Losing my religion: Revisited at various times, particularly between Dominura and Waporif, the ongoing dialogue concerning the origin of the simouns, and the occasional interventions of a rival priesthood.
Like I said, avoid hints or spoilers, please. Though I already accidentally glanced over earlier in the page and saw Dominura's identity. D:
Bloodseeker is offline   Reply With Quote