Thread: Licensed Simoun
View Single Post
Old 2008-10-01, 19:50   Link #2840
duncan

thoughts, and Dominura's eventual fate

I guess this forum is pretty quiet these days, but I thought I'd stick my oar in anyway. First of, I really liked Simoun. It's certainly one of my favorite TV anime series. I thought I'd mention that, because I'm about to be critical of some aspects of it.

I thought that what Simoun did well it did very well. I also thought that it was quite flawed in some ways. I like it a lot because I appreciate what it did well, but I am not quite as quick to let it off the hook for its failings as some people (though I do think it is one of the best anime series I've seen even given those failings). It's fine to say that it's primarily about the characters, but it promises to be about other things as well, and it breaks some of its promises. The only conclusion I can come to is that they were pressed for time and/or money, and that there was poor communication between the writers about some things. I can't help feeling that they wrote the show as they produced the episodes, and that they changed their mind a few times. I'd also be surprised if there weren't some serious disagreements between the writers that never got resolved.

Spoiler:

EDIT: ANyway, after having criticized the series I should also praise it, as I really did like it a lot. My favorite part, by far, was the end of episode 8. I think that has to be on of my favorite sequences in all the anime I've seen. Not quite up there with the Mugen drowning scene in Champloo, but not far behind. That line of Neviriru's "tachinasai..." is just so great, and it's delivered so well. I care a lot about the voice performances and both Neviriru and Aeru were really well voiced, particularly in this scene.

On a kind of geeky note, that line of Neviriru's really reminded me of Ochoufujin (Ryuzaki Reika) in the live action "Ace wo Nerae". She's a very similar character in some respects, and her speech patterns are similar too. Though they will never do it, if they made a live action Simoun the actrees who played Ochoufujin (Matsumoto Rio) would not be a bad choice for Neviriru. She doesn't look much like her, but who does? Ueto Aya from the same series has the physical look for Aeru, but unfortunately I don't think she'd be able to carry Aeru off.

Last edited by duncan; 2008-10-01 at 21:08.
duncan is offline   Reply With Quote