View Single Post
Old 2012-09-02, 11:52   Link #30328
Captain Bluebeard
Detective, Witch, Pirate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
I understand what you mean, as most of it is speculation. However since no real proof exists in Umineko, "clues" are all we can use.
Okay, I will agree my wording was wrong here, since there's no real 'evidence' in Umineko. Regardless, there is still a huge difference between 'clues' and 'assumptions'. And as said in my previous post, most points of argument you've shown are only 'clues' if we are willing to make assumptions. None of it really is a 'narrative' hint which could provide your theory enough stability.

Quote:
Also: Please provide an example for the following scenario:

How would Yasu act, if Battler came 1 year earlier?

I still see no alternative to my theory to explain what she would do if he fulfilled his promise "in time" yet, because "she cannot leave the island as Beatrice".
The hell.... Maybe I can't say for sure, but that's far from meaning Yasu is Ikuko.

One thing is sure: The duel wouldn't have come to a conclusive result yet, so her choice might have been a vastly different one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblue1 View Post
For who's interested in how the plot is developing as it's different from EP 8

Spoiler for Spoilers for Ep 8 chap 7:
EP8 manga version must be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
I forget to include it in my earlier post:

There is a huge difference between KnownNoMore's "Rose Symbolism" and the meaning of "Ikuko".

Using roses as a hint would be a device for the story that has nothing to do with the story itself and is just adressed at the reader.
Well, you got a point here, that's why I said 'almost', but anyway, using the NAME of all things as a piece of argument when you really don't have anything more solid than that boils down to the same thing.

Quote:
The meaning of "Ikuko" is a whole different matter. In the Ikuko=Yasu theory, at some point Yasu would have to come up with a name for herself:

"Hmmm, how should I name myself?"

This is something that the character had to do herself. She chose the name herself. In the context of Ikuko=Yasu, it has a direct relation to the story. This is less of an "asspull" than the Ikuko=RandomStranger version which basicly claims:

"yea.... so her parents used the name 'many children' for her... and that seeming to be a parallel to Yasu? Meh just a coincidence".
Okay, first, to conclude all that just from the name is at best 'jumping into conclusions'. Hell, even if 'many children' is an awesome way to describe Yasu, it's not necessary that it is a metaphor that talks about her.

Or maybe it is. Maybe Ryukishi07 chose that name because Ikuko continues Yasu's tale by writing forgeries. That seems like a more natural conclusion that : "SHIT! Her name's meaning is kinda tracing back to her, they're the same person!". Reasoning of that level would be like saying "Shannon and Kanon have to be the same person! They look awfully similar and their names sound almost the same!".

You see? It doesn't really work this way, does it? That's what I mean when saying 'evidence'. The same point could have a vastly different effect if it was soemthing like "Shannon and Kanon have to be the same person! They're never seen together by anyone except servants who have an unreliable perspective!". Obviously we understand which of the two "proves" the point.

It's tough to be blue...
Captain Bluebeard is offline   Reply With Quote