View Single Post
Old 2012-09-02, 12:08   Link #30331
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchwork Chimera View Post
About Ikuko to gray zone: Try and ask Rudolf where the hell Battler came from. Did he know he was going to be trapped in an endless fight with a witch? How about Maria? She took your point of view about names and ended believing herself to be daughter of the holy spirit. That's a precedent about what overthinking a character's name does to one...
Actually the point would be asking Ryukishi and yes, we'll proabbly hear that Battler was chosen because it was a cool name for someone engaged in a battle.
Same for Maria. Or Rudolf who plays playboy like Rodolfo Valentino. With Ange likely they wanted to use the quote that she can look like an Angel and Eva might be Eva because she's the first female while Rosa gets the name because the sentence 'Maria's Rose' get a more interesting meaning.

And there are many other chara who have a name because that name works for the setting they're in (though I don't know if them all can work).

It's rather common really in anime and manga to have a character being given a name by his author because the name will fit with how the character is or what he will do and that's why in some series the English character page carefully report the translations of names and surnames as something meaningful.

Of course the parents of said characters had no idea of all this. It's the author that uses the names as Easter eggs.

So yes, it makes sense to wonder if, when Ryukishi choses Ikuko as the name for the person saving Battler, he was thinking at it as a hint for Ikuko's true identity or if he just chosed it as a red herring.

Honestly I doubt he chose it at random, though the WHY he chose it is up to personal interpretation.

For all we know Yasu might not be the real kid of Beatrice 2 but she could have persuaded herself she is, while the real kid would be Ikuko... sort of like Battler isn't Asumu's kid but he thought so.

And no, I don't believe in this. It's just another example on how much we can stretch reasoning since the boundaries aren't that binding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bluebeard View Post
EP8 manga version must be awesome.
It is. I was honestly very wary of it but so far I'm loving it. That's exactly how I wanted the visual novel to be.
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote