View Single Post
Old 2006-04-30, 15:46   Link #25
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K
It's the thing that just absolutely irritates me about SR, because I know it's going to happen over and over and over until the end of this season... and possibly after that if they decide again to do an inconclusive ending and another season after that...because if I were watching this purely for the story I'd have cracked my skull by now from banging my head against a wall in frustration.
Heh heh, you're still complaining about this? That fact that it's still bugging you tells me that you're not accepting this aspect of SR. Yes, the presence of misinterpretations is so prominent in the series that it's almost expected and predictable (For example, this episode's onigiri scene. It was easily anticipated that the first onigiri tasted by Harima was Eri's and the second was Tenma's). But like I said before, the "story/plot" is just the basis for the comedy, and of course comedy is a main component of SR. If there aren’t any of these misunderstandings, there wouldn't be any of this SR's style of high school relationship humor. It's hard to imagine SR being SR without this perpetual state of mix-ups. It's an essential mechanism to produce its type of comedy. While a valid criticism of a flaw, for the sake of enjoyment, one just needs to accept this quirk of this series and simply enjoy its brand of humor that arises from this.

That said, episode 04 returns closer to some old fashioned SR. While not the best it has to offer, it's a good, Eri sympathetic, episode. It was fairly amusing, and I like the increased spotlight on her, as it exposes more of her softer side. I'm partial to Eri's character. This episode definitely garners some support for the "flag" faction.