View Single Post
Old 2012-08-11, 04:06   Link #85
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesh462 View Post
Chihayafuru really surprised me. I thought that a pointless show about a card game would never be able to touch me. I ended up laughing and crying and hoping and being anxious right along with all the characters.
Given your reaction to Chihayafuru, here are two other shows based on games that I bet will also surprise you.

The first is Hikaru no Go about a boy who encounters the spirit of a Heian-era Go master. Hikaru develops a love for the game and decides to turn professional. This show has a number of sequences that will seem familiar to you from watching Chihayafuru, like recruiting members for the school club and progressing through the ranks of professional Go players. Even after 74 episodes I was disappointed when the series came to an end.

The show Shion no Ou is obviously a pun on Hikaru. It features a 13-year-old female protagonist who is trying to become a professional Shougi (Japanese chess) player. One thing that differentiates this show from the others is the parallel murder mystery. Shion's parents were brutally killed in front of her eyes when she was four; she no longer speaks as a result. There is some light romance in this show as well, but given her age it's somewhere between a crush and a first love. Frankly I found the story of Shion's development as a young woman and Shougi player much more compelling than the murder mystery.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote