Thread: Licensed Genshiken 2 (Nidaime)
View Single Post
Old 2012-10-06, 13:05   Link #206
KaoruAoiShiho

Thanks for responding to my comments. I'm happy that there is still viable Genshiken discussion going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigantz22 View Post
Which seems to basically not be shown that much because of how stable it is, how can you possibly think that a Spotted Flower end is likely in any way? Despite how minor Kousaka's character is, Kio has made a point in establishing the inevitability of their relationship, and that it's going to be a lasting one.
This seems to be a strange interpretation to me, and not one borne out by facts. Like any good author, Koi has been foreshadowing SakixKousaka's separation from the beginning. Contrast SakixKousaka and OhnoxTanaka post Volume 5. Neither are given a lot of attention, but concerning the little that has been given, for the cosplay couple all the interactions were relentlessly positive. We see them cooperating, doing couple-like things, having fun. Now SakixKousaka, disagreements and conflicts everywhere. Saki hates the crossdressing, but Kousaka still does it in secret. Saki thinks he spends too much time at work, Kousaka doesn't give a shit. Saki is insulted and annoyed by him not physically desiring her, Kousaka just can't bring himself to put down the controller and dedicate attention. Saki drapes herself over Kousaka every chance she gets but there's nothing in return. And lastly Saki is changing because of Kousaka but Kousaka is not changing because of Saki. Saki is replaceable for him.

Basically, I'm saying Koi has been very careful to leave out anything that might give us the impression that Kousaka thinks of Saki as anything other than a long-term fuck buddy. It's a very one-sided relationship, and the reason why Koi set up their relationship that way is because Koi wants them to break up down the line.

SakixKousaka has never been tested, has never been through a trial that didn't result is Saki laying down like a doormat. I'm eager to see how Kousaka would react to a true otaku beauty like Angela.

Quote:
Don't you think that if Kio, in fact, wanted to break them up, he would have done so before the previous chapter, so that the "fated" pairing of SakixMadarame that I continually hear would be something akin to the most beautiful relationship ever could have been established in chapter 80.
This depends on how long you think Genshiken is going to go on and what the future will focus on. See here's the 2 alternatives (to SakixMada) we could be getting.

1. Genshiken turns into a fujoshi story with the new freshmen as the focus and talking about their problems until the end.
2. Genshiken will turn into a Mada harem story with Mada eventually paired off with one of the new girls.

Does anyone really think Koi is going for number 1? That seems implausible to me. Genshiken would lose readers and end up a failure. Number 2 is really also unlikely because of the simple lack of foreshadowing. The only serious romantic interest we've seen for Mada are Hato and Angela. Hato won't work for obvious reasons, and Angela won't either for even more obvious reasons. There's really not much to talk about there in terms of MadaxGirl. Going too deeply into either of the two aforementioned scenarios will repulse fans.

No. What Koi will bring us is a conclusion to the Hato/Freshmen arc and restart SakixMada. Saki will run into problems with Kousaka. He will find another girl, find a job that takes him away, something. But Saki will eventually realize that she doesn't mean anything to Kousaka and give him up.

Genshiken will conclude with the core, the focus of the story. Main girl (Saki) and Main guy (Mada)'s story! It will NOT end on some random drama concerning the freshmen. There's just no way that would happen.

Quote:
Instead, Saki firmly rejects Madarame, and that definitely seems to be the end of it. I tend to doubt that Kousaka or Saki will be involved much anymore, and now Madarame can finally move on, and begin to form a proper and meaningful relationship with someone from his harem.
This could be the case, but I think it's more likely that this just sets up a later "twist", but really, a foreshadowed ending. A lot of the power of drama comes from leading you to expect one thing but then turning in another direction.

Quote:
Otherwise, what would the point of this chapter have been?
Drama, obviously. It was an entertaining chapter.
KaoruAoiShiho is offline   Reply With Quote