View Single Post
Old 2009-05-15, 20:19   Link #19230
Meatrose
Antihero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9
I just don't get why all the Kallen love seems to be exclusive to this forum only.
Well, that is an interesting question Nobodyman. A lot of the Kallen love does seem to be exclusive to this forum only, not counting the Swedish anime community where I spend most of my time. Kallen was actually elected best female character of 2008 there, with no other CG character anywhere near the top 3. On the other hand, this is the only forum I've visited where every character, every scene and the show itself has been properly analyzed and debated. Everywhere I go (other than here) I see extremely shallow interpretations, often noticeably biased in nature or simply... well, "wrong", interpretations that are not only turning a blind eye towards staff statements and official post screening material but also towards what was actually shown on screen during these 50 episodes. Note that I'm not talking about Kallen or her pairing, I'm talking about interpretations of anything related to the show. It seems to me as if a lot of posters at other boards are... I shouldn't say lacking in dedication as that wouldn't be true and it would probably make me look like an arrogant prick so let's go with "casual" instead. If someone posts something that is completely outrageous from a "canon" point of view most people simply won't bother pointing that out and those who actually try will be shrugged off with a "you're wrong, and who's that Okouchi you're talking about, was he that guy who slept with Viletta" or something like that (exaggerated examples are exaggerated). At this board posts like that will be countered by those who have paid a lot more attention to what the writer and the director was trying to say. I think that's why we seldom see posts like that here. As soon as they get posted the poster gets lectured, most of the time in a civilized way. Sometimes they put up something that resembles a fight, but I'd like to think that most of them decides to simply pull out once they realize what they're up against. (Keep in mind, aka don't bite my head off - I'm still not talking about Kalulu. I'm talking about debates over any CG-related topic)

Now is that a good thing? I don't know, perhaps not, but as a really dedicated fan I'm all for it. It paves the way for serious and intelligent discussions where those engaged in debate won't have to spend most of their time trying to get the opposition to understand basic and fundamental aspects of the show and its characters. At the end of the day, if I had a serious question about something in Code Geass or if I was looking for a serious discussion about the show I would honestly never even dream of turning to another forum.

Note that I'm not in any way trying to say that dedicated hardcore fans of the series are bound to like Kallen, that would be a seriously deluded statement. I do however (lol, now is when I'll finally get to the point) think that a character like Kallen won't rally up a crapload of fans among the casual viewers. Sure, people might like her due to the fact she's "hot" with that smoking body of hers and it's always cool to pilot a wicked KMF, but I'm talking about fans that love her character for who she is as a person. A lot of the "casual fans" over at that Swedish community I was talking about were upset when Kallen fought "against Lelouch" at the end of R2 which is, in my opinion, pretty much like saying "I didn't quite understand Lelouch's endgame or what Kallen's character was all about". I, as a Kallen fan, would have been deeply disappointed to see Kallen fight for Lelouch in the end after what he went through in order to keep her from following him to hell.

Last edited by Meatrose; 2009-05-16 at 04:44.
Meatrose is offline   Reply With Quote