View Single Post
Old 2013-06-01, 16:53   Link #93
Goldzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
What we're comparing here is, which series generate more sales so let's do an approximation calculation(we're only talking about sales mind you, not profit, since we have to talk about cost when we're talking profit).

Monogatari series has 13 book currently total while Index has 28 books(for argument sake, let's not include the 2 SS volumes), that means Index has modifier of 28/13 = 2.15 here. Now for price, I'm taking one title each, Koyomimonogatari is priced 1600 yen in Kinokuniya book store, while NT Index 7 is priced 670 Yen in Kinokuniya so, the price multiplier is 670/1600 = 0.42.

Since Total Sales = Price x total books x number of book sold, let's multiply the multiplier to see the average number of sales multiplier. So by this calculation, to make the total sales in yen the same for both monogatari series and Index, Monogatari series only need to sell 2.15x0.42 times than index book per volume, which amounts to 0.9 times index series per volume sales.

Sorry Chaos, I have to agree with Westlo on this one that Monogatari series generate more sales revenue than Index(again, not profit, since we haven't calculate the cost, although usually more volume mean more cost from printing and advertising so if I have to take a bet, I'll bet that Monogatari series has less cost in total), because I don't think Monogatari series on average sold less than 0.9 times of Index series. The price of each book is the killer here. Monogatari on average sold between 1300 yen - 1600 yen, which is more than twice(sometimes even thrice) than Index book price. Index is by no means no slouch though. Having stable 130k-150k sales per book is quite an achievement for a series that's aimed only for a particular demographic.

tl;dr : based on approximation calculation, it seems Monogatari series generate more total sales revenue than Index series. Biblia is still the best though, 4 million sales in 4 volume :hoho:
if you don't mind me asking what are the best selling light novels at this moment(and i be grateful if you put them in order "including index") thank you.
Goldzero is offline   Reply With Quote