View Single Post
Old 2007-03-13, 22:30   Link #49
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Just last night I was looking to find a thread about this subject. It's as if you read my mind, Kaoru Chujo! Thanks.

I was curious about the ratings performance of shows targeted at older audiences, particularly Bartender, Saiunkoku Monogatari, and Hataraki Man. I tried correlating the list of shows at Mahou with the Geocities page you cite, but I can't seem to find these shows in the list. Since I can't read Japanese I pushed the Geocities page through Google's translator, figuring that even a poor translation of a title (e.g, "Grapple beauty God military affairs dragon REBIRTH") might be enough to identify it. Even with the translations I couldn't find any figures for these shows. Since your posting suggests the selection of programs in this list depends on the willingness of people inside the industry to share the figures, I'm guessing no one has leaked the ratings for these shows.

I thought the absence of data was probably an indicator of low ratings, but in another thread, Siegel Clyne posted an average of about 4% for Hataraki Man, which is apparently quite high for a show in this time period. However when I looked in the translated version of the relevant Geocities page, I couldn't find anything for Hataraki Man.

Having read this thread on the economics of the anime industry recently, I am wondering how shows like Bartender will continue to be made. I don't really see the typical ancillary market in figurines, etc., supporting a show like this, and the DVDs have yet to be released. I thought perhaps the ratings would give an indication about the potential for shows like Bartender, but I can't seem to find the data. Any clues?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote