View Single Post
Old 2010-05-05, 02:53   Link #465
DasDingus
Dango Daikaizoku

I guess this is as good a place as any to discuss something I noticed about the way the events of this episode were handled in the anime vs in the VN. In the anime the impression I got was that although she wanted to have a home birth Nagisa had decided that due to the danger to her life during delivery she was going to have the baby in the hospital, but due to the fact that she went into labor earlier than expected and that it was snowing heavily at the time she was unable to get to the Hospital and therefore had to have the home birth due to necessity rather than her desires. However, in the VN what seemed to happen was that Nagisa insisted on the home birth and despite conditions being relatively normal during her delivery she had the home birth and as a result did not make it through the delivery.

Now what I see in the anime is that Nagisa had her desires but she was willing to make a mature decision about what is best for her and her baby. Obviously she would never agree to an abortion because of how much she values the lives and happiness of others, but when the time came to make a practical decision she was capable of it. In the VN on the other hand I felt like her stubbornness about the home birth ended up costing her her life and I wasn't really happy with that turn of events.

Now it's possible that I'm misinterpreting the events in the VN since I've only been through that once and by the end of the birth chapter I was thinking "let's get on with this, get to the interesting part of the story." despite the fact that I tend to be fairly patient with mundane plot lines as long as I find the characters involved interesting. But if I'm not missing anything then I find that characterization of Nagisa in the VN somewhat disappointing.