View Single Post
Old 2013-07-12, 09:25   Link #577
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
And isn't that a good standard to have especially in the age of AAA gaming where there's a lack of main playable females? Why backtrack it with just guys? That quote just came across that throughout the entire story making process, he didn't consider adding them. Yes, there was XIII last time and was handled badly, but something can be learned from that experience, right?
Why should it be a "standard" that there be equal time for male and female protagonists in a story driven game?

What's next? Mandatory racial stereotypes? JRPGs are STORY driven, you can't demand the addition of characters you want and think it wouldn't affect the plot. Here we have a gang of boys who are best friends with each other as a major theme, you think it is normal to just turn one of them into a girl?

(Actually, they did that with FF13 to. They changed the Lancer to a female to maintain gender ratios once they lost a playable girl character. But you think that tells us more about how inconsequential the characters are that you can just gender-bent them like that.)

I still can't get over the idea early on in he thread that one of the posters boycott all games that don't have a female main character. That's the most insulting thing I have ever heard, and I haven't gotten over that.