View Single Post
Old 2010-04-24, 22:19   Link #17
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappy Hared Azn View Post
That's exactly what I was trying to say. Thank you.

The show's great fun to watch, but if you think you're going to walk away from it with any sort of knowledge... sorry. Hell, I've actually overheard conversations where people used the show as a reference.

Yes, another good point. A lot of the modern mash-ups include organizations that can get their hands on pretty much whatever hardware they want, like SEAL vs. Israeli Commando. In these cases, it'll all come down to training, tactics, and the experience of the individual involved... but wait! None of those are factored into the "high tech computer program run by the Jewfro-sporting 30-year-old nerd!"

Dude, nerd rage is what makes the internet fun!
I beg to differ for the modern matches. IMO at least one MU in season one was decided exactly by the skill of the individual representing the side. For instance, in Green Beret vs. Spetsnaz, in the pistol test, the Green Beret left a guy alive, but Sonny Puzikas killed all of his targets. Therefore, the weapon actually got the edge due to the skill of that individual user.

SEALs vs. Commandos though I think is going to be probably the closest MU due to the extreme similarities.

As for ancient warfare...

IMO that's a bigger pissing contest than the modern contests, since in the modern ones, you have actual veterans coming to represent their sides. With the ancient warrior contests, it's a bunch of historians and self-proclaimed experts getting into an ego contest, and odds are, the factions aren't even represented correctly.

This is particularly egregious with the ninja. I mean Jesus Christ, he's wearing all black and attacks in the daylight and yells kiai while attacking with a sword instead of staying quiet and hitting the Spartan in the leg with a poison dart?

I mean consider this...ninja sneaks up on spartan, ninja shoots spartan with poison dart, spartan dies before spartan knows about ninja.

But of course, odds are, the show pits warriors against each other in rock-em-sock-em matchups, so that stealth, tactics, etc... have no place.

In fact Max Geiger even said that the show is deadliest warrior, not deadliest assassin, in other words, he explicitly stated that brute force more or less would win the day.