View Single Post
Old 2013-03-18, 04:07   Link #85
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Well... Kiroumaru once went against orders and risked his life to help the kids because he owed Satoru his life. At the same time Squealer was planning to betray Satoru & Saki, even though he owed Saki his life (if Saki hadn't stopped the queen she would've killed Squealer and we would have no story). Later on, he likely offered Maria and Mamoru shelter only to murder them later on. Of course, you can explain his actions in many ways, that for Squealer humans are ultimately not important, etc., but this is what I mean by Squealer being an asshole, and would still be one even if his goals were the noblest ones ever.
I get what you're saying here. And I suspect this is what lies at the heart of why many want to view Yakomaru and Kiroumaru as complete opposites.

My impression is that Yakomaru has taken "the ends justify the means" to such an extreme that he is now essentially amoral. In other words, Yakomaru is willing to do anything, no matter how morally disturbing or outrageous, in order to accomplish his goals. It's understandable for a person with even just basic moral values to consider Yakomaru an asshole.

For Kiroumaru to be a good antithesis to Yakomaru, I wanted him to be someone who would refuse to cross certain lines. One such line is stabbing those in the back that had every reason to consider Kiroumaru a loyal ally (and Kiroumaru himself gave them those reasons). And yet, Kiroumaru's searching of a WMD, and his words about his tribe becoming the dominant species on the planet, does at least raise the question of "Was Kiroumaru willing to stab humanity in the back?" If he was, then the differences between Kiroumaru and Yakomaru become much murkier, imo.

Still, as you point out, Kiroumaru does seem to value the notion of "paying back debts", which is of some value at least. Yes, it's more than what can be said about Yakomaru. But I myself liked the conception of Kiroumaru as this straight-shooting man of his word who would never betray his allies, and hence he is the complete antithesis to the silver-tongued manipulator Yakomaru. But that conception of Kiroumaru takes a real hit if he was willing to sneak attack humanity with a WMD.

Here, I wish Kiroumaru's words were a bit less ambiguous. "We'd only use the WMD if you attacked us first." for example, is one line that would have alleviated most of my issues with the latest Kiroumaru reveal.