View Single Post
Old 2012-10-13, 15:30   Link #79
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
She was very close to be one on Aircrad.
I don't really know why people say this. She never really depended on Kirito to save her in Aincrad; her focus was a lot more on looking out for him and making sure he didn't go and get himself killed.

Here of course she's being trapped against her will, but we have yet to see what she's doing (or what she's able to do). Of course it's cliche that the hero has to go save the damsel in distress, but that doesn't automatically mean she's become a weak character just because she's been placed in that situation. We'll see what happens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
It only makes sense if you assume that when Asuna eventually wakes up she'll be all, "Oh, my father married me to creepy-rapey dude in a purely symbolic ceremony without my consent? Well, I guess I can never be with Kirito again."
Well, I suppose she can run away from her family and off with him, which is probably the likely outcome if it comes down to it, but I don't think that'll be an easy life for both of them, particularly in Eastern cultures where that sort of individuality is not as strongly advocated. (Arranged marriages are still a thing even in this day and age, after all.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Which gets at the real problem with this story line -- Asuna's been objectified in a very literal sense, turned into a comatose body without any volition which Kirito has to save from Sugou.
We'll see. She still seems to be alive in a game world, so we'll see what she's up to.