View Single Post
Old 2008-05-06, 09:20   Link #24155
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
I would also like to remind everyone of Bellisario's Maxim: Don't examine this too closely.
Meh while this sometimes true all too often people use such things as an excuse to not have to think or defend there ideas at all. I do use this myself at times when things get too complex or contradictory to explain in detail, but this shouldn't be used as an excuse to ignore logic, precedent, and common sense altogether in the interest of doing "something cool" or the like. As with most such Maxims while cute there actual value as a guide is questionable and there meaning easily distorted. I'm sure even the guy that said it would if asked most emphatically assure you that not examining things at all is even worse.

Besides there was no real hard cacling going on there was a debate over the various aspects and limits of competing styles of magical combat and frankly that’s absolutely relevant when making or talking about character concepts IMO. Also bear in mind that to me this was a technical debate I'm not nearly as hard on actual works of fiction, but when it comes to simply debating technology or tactics and how they work or don't in a universe I'm considerably less forgiving.