View Single Post
Old 2012-05-08, 22:06   Link #652
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I have a theory that a large chunk of anime DVD/Blu-Ray customers go for what can probably best be described as brightly colored, anatomically-correct moe done in top-notch animation. KyoAni developed this particular style to utter perfection, hence earning themselves a dedicated fanbase, insofar as they were loyal to that art style (it may be that Nichijou was perceived as veering too far off from that style).

P.A. Works tapped into that same fanbase with Angel Beats! and Hanasaku Iroha.

Hyouka has this same brightly colored, anatomically-correct moe done in top-notch animation. This particular overall visual style (reminiscent of a well-produced visual novel) tends to sell very well, in my opinion. I think it might help to explain Guilty Crown's sales as well.
I would disagree with that. The shows that tend to sell well sell because they're a reminder of that time when they were first aired and because the fans liked those characters. The KyoAni successes could easily be classified in those areas. The Key dramas were highly enjoyable to the fanbase, thus they sold well. Haruhi started a huge anime fandom and some would argue a cult following, thus it sold well. Lucky Star was a celebration of being an otaku and had four entertaining leads, thus it sold well. K-On! served as a reminder of the fun times in high school and had five loveable characters, thus it sold well.

Conversely, Nichijou wasn't lacking in entertainment so much as it lacked in characters that fans liked. Due to the nature of the show, it never focused enough time on one trio or combination of them, thus fans never got attached to them. Other shows in that season like Ano Hana, Iroha, Steins;Gate, and even Tiger and Bunny allowed for that connection with the characters, thus they sold well and Nichijou didn't. It's not about moe, but with enjoying the characters.

From what I've seen, Hyouka started out hot due to the KyoAni hype, but has re-gained popularity due to fans enjoying those characters compared to the rest of the season. It's not necessarily the animation, though that helps, but it's the combination of emotion the show brings out and the characters inside it. As the first three episodes have gone by, people have gotten used to Houtarou, Eru, and Mayaka, and they like them. That's why it's starting to sell well. Moe might be a factor, but I'd argue that it's more connecting with the setting and the characters instead.

There's still nearly two months before most of these shows go on sale, so things will likely change again.

Edit: I'd also like to say that this is a theory of mine and isn't based on any facts. I'm merely disagreeing. I think you do have a valid point, but I feel it's not something that the Japanese fans think about when purchasing BD/DVDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I think it's far more interesting that Space Brothers was holding its own on that list considering it has about zero features that might appeal to anime otaku.
It'll be interesting to see how it does, but stalker points may be a bad way to track it. Aniplex and Amazon (the main input source for the program) have had some kind of dispute over distribution and so there's not a lot of stock of Aniplex titles. Space Brothers is already listed as OOS on Amazon. I'm not saying it'll sell horribly, but instead that we can't trust stalker points for it due to said dispute.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2012-05-08 at 23:33.
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote