View Single Post
Old 2012-05-12, 10:53   Link #1217
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
Wouldn't that be detrimental to the mystery solving though?
No. Each individual mystery is the point of focus that I'm referring to. Eru gives Houtaro something specific to latch onto.

Quote:

I think what Eru brings over to Houtaro is more of someone to balance his abilities. He has his creative mind and attentive nature, she has the photographic memory and one mind track set.
Right. Her "one-track mind set" helps to focus Houtaro on very specific tasks, and individual mysteries.

Quote:
She's the one who gives the goal to focus on, he's the one to figure out how to crack it.
Right. And that's exactly my point.

It's a very mutually beneficial relationship. I'm certainly not saying that Eru isn't getting something out of this. She most certainly is. In fact, it's so obvious what Eru is getting out of this that I didn't feel it was necessary to really delve into that much.

What I find more interesting to discuss is what Houtaro is getting out of this, since the whole situation seems to run contrary to his seeming "laziness" and energy conservation philosophy.

Quote:
Or I'm just hoping for the romantic option ...
I think you'll probably get something of a romance between Houtarou and Eru. But it'll likely be subtle/understated. That's the impression I'm getting so far, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
You make it sound like Houtarou's attitude is horribly offensive.

I hope you realize that the characters you actually do poke fun at other characters - a character trait that Houtarou does not possess. Kyon repeatedly complains and ridicules Haruhi's ideas in his head, and Tomoya teases nearly everyone around him. Even Konoka occasionally writes a "bitter" story on purpose to mess with Touko.

Unless my memory fails me, Houtarou doesn't really verbally snap at anyone. While keeping to oneself doesn't make an interesting character, I don't see how his inactivity that makes him offensive. It's not like these mysteries are grand crises that involve murder or theft.
Very well-said.

I don't see how Houtarou's apathy makes him a jerk. Jerks generally aren't apathetic. A jerk is somebody who goes out of his way to poke fun and pick on people. As you rightly point out, Houtarou isn't doing that. Simply saying "No, not interested" is not jerkish (except in very extenuating circumstances; ones not in this anime, at least not yet).