View Single Post
Old 2012-11-29, 17:41   Link #68
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Am I the only one completely bored/annoyed by mundane dilemmas like worrying about your future/working towards a successful future/getting ready and practicing for presentations, etc.. I mean, this is the stuff I avoid like the plague in real life. *paused halfway through the episode to complain*
While I get where you're coming from, I think these dilemmas are necessary to keep the show sort of grounded. I don't think the drama (including the romantic drama) in this show would work as well if you didn't have the overarching plot of these kids all working towards a particular dream/successful future. Without that, it would be too much generic harem anime comedy.

On the flip-side, though, if it was all about the drama, the show would probably feel too heavy.

So I think Sakurasou does a pretty good job of balancing drama with comedy. There's particular bits that don't do much for me (so I can see where FlawFinder is coming from), but I really get the idea behind it, and so it mostly works for me.

For example, I think that this pool party is the sort of way a group of friends would react to one of the group suffering a major life disappointment/setback. Rather than dwell on it and go into heavy angsting, I think that most people would handle this the same way: Head out with their buddies for a good time to take their mind off of the recent disappointment.

I also think that the interview was handled pretty well. It's true that the "trick question" isn't that hard, but I think Sorata's reaction to it was very believable and pretty realistic. Sometimes you can sort of overprepare for these sorts of interviews, and get so caught up in set expectations for them that the littlest curveball totally takes you off your game.

One final note is that I like how the love triangle in this show is reasonably unpredictable. While I think that Mashiro is the clear favorite, I wouldn't be shocked at Nanami winning it all. So it's great to see a love triangle that's genuinely unpredictable for a change, and where either possible outcome is not without its charms.

9/10 for Episode 8.