View Single Post
Old 2009-01-16, 22:27   Link #2228
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos View Post
The comparisons will be unavoidable considering the overwhelming success of WoW. I'm sure it gets annoying for some people, but I don't pay much mind to it.

I played FFXI before WoW and that was a more painful game than WoW by far. Solo xp is pretty much non-existent past the teens, so you have to group up for xp. God forbid you're a dps class that has to compete with every other dps class for a xp spot. Think of LFG for heroics/raid as dps in WoW except 1000x worse. Then you're stuck killing the relatively same looking mobs for 60+ levels while having a nice -XP penalty everytime you die. Granted, things are better now in FFXI with level sync and campaign, but I'll take WoW leveling any day. Professions in FFXI were a lot worse as well. Nothing like spending hundreds of thousands of gil for that 0.1 skillup. Sure, WoW has a lot of grind, but it's a lot more user friendly and varied.
Yeah WoW has a lot of grind but that's kind of the problem... No one ever seems to notice. Unless you get to the 'raid' grind everyone assumes WoW is grind-free and easy. Which instantly makes any other game look like a grindfest. Since I guess compared to WoW they're a lot more 'obviously' grinds.

*shrug*

I did try FFXI myself. I never got into it. And due to the inanely stupid password system and stuff I can't even remember my info to sign in and cancel the darn thing.