View Single Post
Old 2009-05-21, 18:49   Link #224
sk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichobi View Post
I tried that and it didn't work. The machine still lag out and peaked at 85 degree. That's super hot and rendered my machine useless. So this evening I eventually dissected my Macbook and see what happens....

Very dirty and ugly isnt' it?

But the accumulated dust is not the culprit.

THis is the culprit

The Chinese workers have no idea how to properly applied thermal paste. It's too much and too thick and now all dried out so the heat transfer wasn't efficient and resulted in my machine lock down.

I ran out to the local electronic store and got my self a Silver thermal paste, then applied thinly and evenly.

The result was staggering, now my macbook peaked at 70 degree Celsius!!! Idle at 40 degree only! That's massive 35-40 degree drop in temperature! And now I can watch any 1080p files with out a hiccup!

Thanks for your help though, I know it has to come to dissecting sooner or later because I always have this problem ever since I purchased. Just need to wait until the warranty expires!
I want to open mine to check the same since sometimes when running on full it goes around 85º, but if i put my fans to kick in before (i usually put them at 5200rpm for gaming) it usually stays between 75-82º.

My warranty only ends in august so i think i'll wait until it ends, then i can change my hard disk and re-apply thermal paste

Did you open by yourself or follow ifixit guides?