View Single Post
Old 2012-09-16, 01:19   Link #115
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
By reverse you mean how she saves physically (or virtually) him? The thing is that he saved her first since she was already heading into despair.

Would it be more accurate if I had said something like 'he is her shining light in this dark world, and she is his'? (Honestly though, I find it to be in the same vein).
I did also say "with a twist", though I mean that in terms of she's also his (shining knight), and the whole what really happens after you marry your saviour.
Well, that's a very loose definition of "knight in shining armour" I guess that has little to do with him actually being (for all intents and purposes) a "knight". In that broader sense, he is someone that helped her get a new perspective on life, so yes, I guess in that sense she is in a relationship with someone she feels indebted to in that way. He's certainly a very important person to her. But isn't that rather normal? I mean, people generally fall in love with someone who brings out a different side of themselves. So I guess I didn't really see it as that close to the typical "knight in shining armour" stereotype, even if there is an aspect of "being saved" in there (and in reverse). Well, I guess it's mostly semantics. I see what you mean, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Why are people afraid of thugs trying to extort them when there's absolutely no risk for disobeying them? They can't get hurt in a safe zone so there's really no concequences.
Well, we don't yet know enough about the situation to say for sure, but I think there could be consequences. If the Army has convinced the population on the first floor that they're the only ones who can save them from the trap they're stuck in, and everyone generally believes that, then speaking against the authorities could get you into trouble, even if they can't "hurt" you physically. I take it that people still need food/water even in this game (even if it's to fill up some virtual gauge), and people still need a safe place to sleep (with the risk of Sleep PK, and so on). Is it feasible for someone to literally lock themselves in a room and never go out for any reason for months? If not, the Army could make it very "difficult" to survive for these people, and if someone resists they could start spreading the threat to other people. It could all result in a sort of peer pressure to exile the troublemaker into the "game world" where things really can hurt/kill them. Faced with such uncertainty, it's probably easier to just give the thugs what they want and hope they leave you alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Since there's so many replies saying the same thing I'll just concede and say that apparently my rational way of thought doesn't mesh well with what SAO presents me. As much as it's true that many people like to deceive themselves, I can't empathize with that because I don't think that way.
I don't think it's about a "rational way of thought". There are ways to torture someone that don't involve physical pain, particularly when you're afraid of going out of the starter town and potentially having to face enemies and death. (Who knows just how exaggerated their tales of the danger of the "world out there" may be? Isn't it also in the starter town where they have the list that shows all the players who have died?) I think you're just not giving that sort of psychological element enough credit, even in this game.