Thread: Sailor Stars ^^
View Single Post
Old 2004-01-04, 02:56   Link #4
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Yup, I'm another anime fan who started, for better or worse, with the Sailor Moon dubs. I was very surprised and thrilled to finally be able to see Sailor Stars! That being said a few quick comments...

1. This almost goes without saying, but watching this subbed with the original voices is *SO* much better than the English dubs.

2. The first 6 episodes of Sailor Stars are unbelievably tight - so well done! It could almost be strung together and made a movie. From episode 7 on, it gets episodic again, but I always loved the connected serious story arc episodes.

3. The cross-dressing is a bit odd, but (up to this point) it hasn't been overdone. Considering the other animes that have been brought over here since then, I'm not sure why this couldn't be licensed, if there were an interest, although it probably couldn't be marketed the same way the old Sailor Moon series were. That being said, though, there's probably not much interest at this point.

4. Watching this show again (even though its a new season to me) reminded me of one of the most crazy of the "laws of anime"... call it the amnesia effect: All it takes is a mask or a different outfit, and there is no way in the world two anime character can recognize each other for the longest while. At best they think they other person looks vaguely familiar, but they can *never* place them... It's so crazy and frustrating, but it does make for a good way to build and extend a plot...

Anyways, looking forward to seeing the rest of Sailor Stars!
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote