View Single Post
Old 2014-03-04, 16:59   Link #55
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
There is no black and white good or bad in the real world, but One Piece is fiction. Sure there are grey characters, but it's hard to argue that Aokiji or Akainu are 'grey'.

What does good or bad even mean? What does it mean to be a 'good' character?

Aokiji respects man and life. As a soldier, you have to make tough choices. It's obvious he had a lot of respect and affection for Saul. Does killing him make him 'bad'? Is killing always 'bad'? It's hard to answer these questions. Looking at the character as a whole, you definitely won't say that he is 'grey' though.

Same with Akainu. I don't know if killing is always bad, but it's hard to justify killing and torturing innocent civilians who have no connection at all to the military objective. We know that it wasn't necessary (from a military perspective) to kill every civilian because Aokiji was against it. And really, when was 'following orders' a valid excuse? He has no care for at all for human life.

He really isn't a 'grey' character either.
Ok, I'll accept that as Aokiji just doing his job, while causing the least possible causilities that is in his power. That is fine.
What about others though? Crocodile? Buggy? Belamy? Mr. 3? Mr. 2? Going by the cover-stories, CP9 also seems to be different after having lost to the SHs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
What are you on about now?
Never mind. Reviewing it now, I probably did not make my point clear enough which can lead to misunderstandings, I will possibly retry to make that point, once I got enough time for that.