Thread: Licensed Toradora! Manga Discussion
View Single Post
Old 2008-08-30, 12:14   Link #99
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Because of a certain "someone", I checked the manga (all the first 12 chapters) and... honestly, I would say it was both a waste of time and a gain of time (as it will prevent me to lose my sanity in the upcoming anime release).

My biggest gripes with Toradora plot are basically the whole structure and premises.
In all honesty, the author is trying too hard in the "sweet-sour" component of the tsundere archtype, to the point the "dere" side is a mere scam, not even doing the "vaseline" effect for all the black and annoying parts of the horrible being named Taiga.

Though I'm not exactly fond of bitching a series or so, TD fails in "entertainment" department in my case (I insist it is only my opinion), because the author generate such situations that it challenging my suspension of disbelief. Basically, Ryuji is just-too-bloody-nice-that-it-is-laughable. He isn't bad as a character per se, however, the treatment he receives from Taiga is just borderline inhuman (well, she uses him as a dog after all) and his somehow "cannot let her alone" attitude is so forced that it broke my suspension of disbelief.

If you combine this with Taiga, the biggest chore character available, it doesn't make TD very bright. I will admit some situations were kinda a guilty pleasure with all the commotion and "fun", but it is soon darkened with pitch black ink when Taiga opens her filthy trap dustshoot which serves as her mouth.
If I have to comment about her character, she is simply the incarnation of selfishness and doesn't have any kind of clue about how it is to interact with her fellow classmates.
This is really a big problem for TD premises, as it actually should make the readers rooting for a romance between Taiga and Ryuji. However, unlike usual clumsy male lead that doesn't deserve the "harem" at his disposal, it is the other way around: no matter what Taiga does, she really doesn't deserve Ryuji, period. And if she somehow "acts" nice, she is going backwards in a horrible bossy attitude the very next moment costing her at least the double of points she won with her "false dere side" (see especially chapter 11, page 24).

The story is kinda classic, and doesn't have much to be blamed. But honestly, Taiga herself is just pushing so many wrong buttons that it is difficult to take that story enjoyable, even if not at the latest degree. This is as silly as in ZNT, just that you exchange the explosions from louise's void magic with raw violence and crude language.

At least, it sure has the potential to please tsundere lover, I won't question that.
My apologies for the blunt and brutal rant, I assume many people enjoy this plot, which is normal. that said, this is a mere token of opinion here, as a contrast I should say.