Thread: Crunchyroll Hunter X Hunter Anime (2011)
View Single Post
Old 2012-12-10, 21:25   Link #2210
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
If you're going to start off characterising a group of people by explaining that they massacred an entire innocent village and continue to give them characteristics like how they casually talk about killing children and annoying loud people, then suddenly making them tragic and sympathetic is always going to be a tricky affair and unfortunately I just don't think loyalty among the pack is good enough. It wasn't for Gon during his previous outburst against Nobunaga, so I figured the story was making it clear that wasn't enough, and I don't see what's changed to be honest. And I don't have a problem with the story emphasising that Kurapika shouldn't continue his path of revenge btw, but the pain that the Phantom Troupe caused him was genuine so there are victims out there because of the Troupe's deeds.
Am not saying that you have to sympathies with them.
I'm just pointing out that they do have some values.

Think about yourself. If your family member and 5 strangers got in trouble, whom would you help? High chances are that you would still save your dear family member and leave strangers die.

Phantoms are killers but in a sense their and this situation are similar. They care about their "family" but don't give a damn about others.
Though their "family bond" is not that deep either if you consider the fact that they were about to slaughter each other.

They are not good but they are not machines either and do have things/people they care about.

Does not excuse them from killing though.