View Single Post
Old 2013-02-08, 22:44   Link #121
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
How was Akane a damsel in distress in this episode? She got shot in the thigh with a nailgun, then sucked it up and told Kougami to go ahead while she bandaged up.

Also. I think people are underestimating the utility of surprise blunt trauma from behind.
Akane is not now, nor has she ever been a damsel in distress. She fulfills the role that she is placed in. The same is true of her partner, who also tends to stay back and let his enforcers do the work. That's what they're encouraged to do, because they are not expendable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
She's covered in this "needs to be protected" light by the story; the fact none of the characters can say "don't come, it's too dangerous" because of circumstances (enforces because they would be suspect; Nobu because he's her colleague) doesn't really help get it off. She's also portrayed as an airhead a few times. I understand why (they whole representing the onlookers and whatnot), but they could give her some badass moments that don't involve cheap attacks. They did it in Ep1 with the whole railgun to the spine, there should have been a tad more, since from then to now she's only been carried by the story or dragged by other characters (such as the case in the robot factory).
I agree and disagree. I agree that she carried a "need to be protected" in the eyes of her colleagues. However, so does her partner (Nobu?). He's shown many times as being off in the distance letting his enforcers do most of the work. In actuality, Akane sees just as much action as her own enforcers because she constantly follows them into battle despite her inexperience and her position. She's not supposed to be putting herself in danger, but she does it anyhow.

She has yet to really push her way into the spotlight much, and has operated primarily as an observer. I wont argue that. However she has had her moments, and it does make sense when you consider that she's learning. She's not an expert, and that's why she looks to Ko for guidance. I would find it unrealistic if she was as active as Ko is.

I maintain that at no point have I ever felt that she is a damsel. She's a rookie "officer," to put it best.
Quote:
I don't know maybe because swinging a helmet is essentially just swinging your hands in the air I don't find all too "exiting." She would have had to kick him in the groin and headbutt him (then hit him with the mask), or just punch/kick him down, for me to take it as an "awe inspiring heroic feat."
I agree that the scene was anticlimactic. However, that in itself was what made the scene perfect. They took advantage of the fact that she had been left behind, and didn't even hint prior to the scene happening that she would come in to save the day. Not only did the characters forget about Akane, but I suspect that most of the audience forgot. Plus, there's no world in which she would have been able to beat him in a fight, especially when Ko was unable to. A cheap shot was necessary.

Additionally, it was a really.Really good hit. For her only scene thus far where she gets to bludgeon someone, she did a damn good job.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?