View Single Post
Old 2013-02-09, 00:44   Link #125
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
But should this really be surprising?
The implication that the main antagonist is basically no better than one of his pawns? Why yes, yes it is. For starters, it makes the conflict a lot less layered and a lot less interesting, which isn't usually the case with Urobuchi.

And Kougami's intent alone is not a good enough reason (be it on an in-universe or meta level) for their confrontation to amount to nothing more than a short brawl. In episode 11 Makishima had a showdown with Akane (which was a lot more interesting than this one in spite of the supposed main rivalry being between Kougami and Makishima) and the only reason Akane was there was also just to capture Makishima, but he still had something of substance to say and still managed to put her to the test in more interesting ways than just physically.

Now I'm not saying the exact same thing should have happened in his confrontation with Kougami, but would something more akin to his encounter with Akane have been preferable to a brief and brainless fistfight with a really anti-climatic ending? Yes, it would.

And don't tell me he couldn't afford to wax philosophy with a hunting dog like Kougami around. He kicked his ass (didn't get hit once, in fact) and immobilized him with ease, so there was nothing stopping him, really. If anything I would have expected that, as soon as he got done with Kougami, Makishima would look around and see if Kougami had any teammates with him that Makishima could use to further test and plunge him into a deeper abyss, etc.

But alas, as you said, the prospect of carving Kougami up like a turkey was stimulating enough for him. Which yes, I found surprising, as well as disappointing.