View Single Post
Old 2008-04-11, 22:34   Link #153
KrimzonStriker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major1138 View Post
The notion that he wants to build a world where those without power are not abused by those with it isn't entirely true - he wants to build a so-called "perfect world" for his sister, and it just so happens that sticking to Britannia (the powerful who oppress the powerless) is something he needs to do along the way.

I'm not going to say that his methods were entirely wrong - Britannia plays hardball, and the Black Knights need to respond in kind if they want to get anywhere. I'll even give a pass to the lives lost at Narita, since it didn't go according to plan, but I would suggest that someone who strives to protect the weak wouldn't put innocents at risk like that.

Abandoning the Black Knights in Tokyo to track down his sister is something a little tougher - to me, it highlights the big disconnect. It fits with what he wants to do: if he's looking to build a perfect world for his sister, it'd be pointless if she gets killed, so he does have to go after her. But in order to build this perfect world for her, his relationship with the Black Knights is an alliance of convenience. His goals and theirs for the most part coincide, but as the end of season 1 showed, he'd throw them all under the bus if need be. I don't think I'm too out there in suggesting that "the cost" of trading all of them for his sister is cause for an eyebrow raise or two.
Is that not the premise of the peaceful (not perfect) world he wants Nunnally to live in though? Is that not his belief, for what is Nunnally if not one who is weak in the most apparent of ways and has been abused by the strong. It is precisely because of the way the world works that resulted in Nunnally's tragedy and his own, and part of Lelouch's resolve to change that, this in turn grants him a measure of apathy toward others who are oppressed as well, even when he acts aloof, take when he saved the hot-dog vendor and that Japanese getting beat up by the noble, or when he stood up for Kallen during episode 26. There's also his disgust with the pointless slaughter exerted by Britannia during the ghetto cleansings and the public executions by Carares, along with other abuses like the two brothers forced to fight each other in the ring, and the subsequent torching of the victims at the end of the episode. He hates what Britannia represents just as much for the threat it posses to him and Nunnally.

If one is to achieve anything then sometimes one must take risks, it's only logical that at some point incidents like Narita will happen no matter what he does, that's the cost when he decided to take up arms in the first place. But that also means he doesn't go out of his way to protect the people as well, the hotel-jacking is a good example, and his subsequent shift of the Order from a terrorist organization that targets civilians who have nothing to do with the struggle to a vigilante Order that defends them from abuse.

That he has personal reasons for what he does is something that is understandable, many in the order have there own personal reasons for working with him as well. It also effects his usually calm and logical judgment, at that point he wasn't weighing the overall objective over the costs like he usually does, he does the exact opposite in fact. So you can say its actually because he detracts from his ways that things ended as badly as they did. In any case Episode 1 of Season 2 shows he's working to correct that little misshape with the Order
KrimzonStriker is offline   Reply With Quote