View Single Post
Old 2013-04-02, 03:10   Link #199
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Is Miyuki's conversion unrealistically complete? Yes and no. I look at his character as someone who's major issues weren't with Izumiko, but with his father (and apparently with good reason). He's an adolescent, and since he wasn't really able to take his frustrations out on Yukimasa he peevishly took them out on Izumiko. Not only was she handy, but also conveniently symbolic of everything Miyuki was angry about - having no control over his life, his father's domineering nature, and a system that's based on heredity rather than merit (and we see subtle signs in this episode that Miyuki is still troubled by this aspect of Izumiko).

Seen through that lens, I don't think Miyuki's change in attitude is a major problem. Should it have happened over five or six episodes instead of three? Yes, in an ideal world - which with only one cour to work with, P.A. Works isn't living in. Especially when you consider the fact that they had a near-death experience in Tokyo (or so it seemed) to bond over, plus the age-old thing teens have always united over - a shared anger at an adult - I think it's believable that Miyuki would accept his responsibility and suck it up. Your mileage may vary.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote