View Single Post
Old 2010-07-30, 08:55   Link #11381
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFlare View Post
Which invariably points to the next question: Since anti-magic has been pushed for the past two seasons now, will it ever end at this stage? Nanoha and her friends' power ceilings are nigh unreachable right now, and if the sequels continue pushing for magic versus anti-magic, then the Magical Girl title in front of Nanoha should be replaced with something else. <.<
There are plenty of ways of making good opponents. The whole TSAB against them (aka Betrayers), other Aces, stronger magic users, those who fight with brains instead of strength (aka, a Chessmaster), etc. Anti-magic is just one of those ways, and with these new weapons, anti-magic shouldn't be much of a concern anymore, so future stories I imagine wouldn't use it so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina.Wolken View Post
What? Are you blaming a 5 ou 6 years old girl for crying while her father is on the verge of death and her familly threaten to fall appart at any moment? :/
The whole point of the chapter is to show how Nanoha overcame this dramatic event and decided to become stronger, hence not being "emo" anymore.

I can understand that people prefer to see their heroines "strong&cool", but it's not a bad thing to show that they are still human. Right?
Nothing in those pages is much different than what happened in S1... and Nanoha didn't cry out loud like she did in the manga. I'd be willing to accept a 5 or 6 year old Nanoha crying over her father at that point, but she didn't when she was 9. So we still don't have any plot-logical basis for her initial emoha outburst in the movie manga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
That's part of the reason why I cringed at the whole mecha shoutout and slow shift to sci-fi. Not like I dislike sci-fi. But the whole arm race have been done at the expense of the "magical" part of the franchise. And no, we don't need pointy hats, robes and more fireballs of different shapes and colors. Unexplored magic domains could have been fine too! You know, shit like necromancy (what would you think of investigators trying to get the last minute of a dead with a ritual?), geomancy, rituals, expansion on the whole field of illusionary magic, or manipulation of shadows, mind manipulation, and anything you could either see in heroic fantasy games like Dungeons & Dragons or in modern fantasy like White Wolf's Mage. Shit that would make mages feel like MAGES, and not just girls with gigantic boom sticks.
Perhaps Nanoha magic doesn't quite work that way? I mean, after all, magic should allow for time travel too, and Chrono seems to think that's impossible. Perhaps the magic energy they draw can't do much besides what we've seen. And I really haven't seen much of an arms race; I mean, the devices got a slight upgrade in A's, then 10 years passed so I would expect a few new tricks, which is what they got in Strikers. Looks like a new spell or two by Vivid, and then two years later (which is 16 years since Nanoha started), they get a new device which is limited in scope and used to counter a specific kind of threat.

I'd hardly call that a continuous sci-fi upgrade.

By the way, you're geomancy example was already done in Vivid with Corona.