View Single Post
Old 2009-07-01, 04:08   Link #235
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I've stickied this thread because in light of the recent "drama" of the last voting results, the time has come to look at some of the ways the contest is run.

Specifically, there needs to be some guidelines set for theme creation, at the very least when it is announced by the creator. For those who do not know what happens "behind the scenes" when a winner decides a theme, this is basically what happens:

Winner is announced.
Winner PM's me the theme idea.
We discuss various aspects of the theme (is it too similar to other themes, will people like it, basic "I want this, but not this" examples, etc.)
Theme is given the go ahead when we both feel that we have a clear idea of what the theme will be about.
Theme is announced, people rejoice, much merry making is had by all.

Here's where the problem comes in - what happens when the theme creator tries a more creative or complex theme? How much can we entrust to the interpretation of the contestant before it seems like an entry didn't follow the theme?

To that end, we need to establish a clear set of guidelines so that the creator can communicate their idea properly without worrying that he or she must constantly police every entry to ensure that the theme is being followed correctly. This will hopefully allow the themes to be more creative and limit the confusion that sometimes follows it.

Discuss.
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote