View Single Post
Old 2008-02-10, 16:47   Link #241
Dee Eon

What Gave Kanata Her Second Pair Of Angel Wings??

A Thread about my Fave Lucky Star character!

I want to comment that you all have been invaluable in my enjoying the show because my first encounter with ep 22 was thru some terribly translated fansubs which you all have straightened out for me and made sense of some very tender scenes! Thank you - thank you! Well, allow me to jump in late with an issue dear to my character -- mainly Kanata's untimely demise! There're lots of theories here on this so I'll toss mine into the pot!

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a violent accident because her passing isn't regarded with that tone of abrupt tragedy or grief it seems, but rather with the solemnness of expectancy. Accidental causes are usually mentioned to as death (at least more in the U.S.) more overtly than cause by disease or health reasons. Though I can't be sure of course, I highly suspect that there's some heredity flaw going on here (the health failings doesn't hit Konata outside needing medication when in cars at least). The clue's in cousin Yutaka's worrisome sickliness and slight but cute harelip and stinted stature, and in Sōjirō's flashback at the beach, at first he and Kanata are running for the sand with joy then in next scene they're leaving with him concernedly watching her wiping her brow as though in exhaustion, and she's always outside with that broad sunbonnet (sun stroke prone too?). Ditto by his face at her lethargy on their immediate train ride back. In the family portrait Konata appears as a babe of four or five months at least judging by her size and hair, and there are teasing hints that Konata may've even been a toddler at Kanata's passing (the flash scene of Sōjirō kneeling with a toddler Konata at a temple as if at a wake?), so even moreso it most likely wasn't any birth complication. That Yutaka changed residence to be closer to school might hint that Yui and Sōjirō are more concerned of a hereditary weakness than they're telling.

So much for my take! Now some have not only theories on this, but even challenge the whole notion that Kanata's even really "gone" (wistful wishes me)! :

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4005755/1/

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4034138/1/

But then, I'm sure Kyoto is well aware just how pop Kanata is in death and maybe they've sitting on their sleeves all kinds of ways to feature her in some speculative future features. I'd watch it just see how the heck Kanata ever hooked up with a guy like Sōjiro since I doubt they were truly childhood friends by the sense of the term (BOTH of you don't have to be children to be a childhood friend, right?)

Dee

Last edited by Dee Eon; 2008-02-10 at 19:19.