View Single Post
Old 2008-02-17, 18:10   Link #324
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzer View Post
Discuss your beliefs in a negative light? you mean absence of belief surely?
Even agnostic and atheist people belief, how else could they be non-Christian/Islam/your religion of choice?
In my opinion a true atheist is at least as devoted to science as a devoted christian is to god.
Faith is a common motivation that drives all people on this earth, that applies to atheist and agnostic people too.

Quote:
I would hardly call myself morally virtuous as I said I am not a strict follower of Christianity but I was merely responding to the patronizing attitude of most non-believers.
Non-beliefers do not exist. Even if there is someone who claims, he/she beliefs nothing - Then that person at least beliefs that he/she beliefs nothing, which is a false conclusion. So everyone beliefs in something. Faith is an integral part of personality. How often faith changes and how flexible believing is, is another question. But with regards to that point, one can only differentiate between more and less consistent beliefers.

Quote:
What I said before is correct, followers of religion will seek salvation through virtue, most religions believe this is the path to God, will an agnostic or athestic person strive to follow this attitude as fervently? probably not.
And how does this relate to faith?
Agnostics and atheists do not need a god as motivation to seek salvation through virtue yet many of them do it (just for different reasons).

Quote:
What you have said makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, in science something can be proven definitive and years later another scientist will disprove it with his own theory, scientific fact is not fact. It is as someone said science is one of the better explanations.
The faith in science itself is what a atheist beliefs in. I know the concept of a variable faith with few consistencies and dogmas must be a rather alien concept for a devoted christian.

Quote:
You are right in saying it works for religion as well as science that second hand knowledge isn't always truth but faith in God and in salvation is something that I think benefits people positively, as does science, but religion also gives people hope, guidance and solace.
You got the implications wrong. Faith gives people hope, guidance and solace. And faith can be brought by religion but need not necessarily.