Thread: Licensed Dance in the Vampire Bund
View Single Post
Old 2010-04-17, 10:38   Link #1057
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
The way they made these scenes work for me was by being ironic from the very start. They overplayed things tremendously in ep1, adding a lot of bizarre humor. And in ep2, they had that melodramatic music behind the rescue scene at the end. I thought they were intentionally overdoing it so that you expected that and it wouldn't put you off. You could accept the ironic distance and therefore not think it should be more realistic or everyday natural. That worked for me, but even at the time I thought it wasn't going to work for everybody.

I'm still a big believer in this show, but I do see various reasons why others aren't so enthusiastic.
Don't get me wrong, the intentional overplayed moments were great. I can always appreciate the advantages to that method of scene direction. It's when a show unintentionally commits a real groaner that completely pulls me out of the show and makes me laugh that I deduct points.

This is typically due to characters saying / doing things that make them seem more like automatons following a script without having any real reasoning behind their actions, except to further the scene.

I'm extremely picky about that sort of thing, so if a show manages to only stumble in such a way once per episode, that's actually saying something pretty positive. Same with the overall score, though. 6 - 7/10 is actually pretty good coming from me.
Neat Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote