View Single Post
Old 2011-10-15, 19:02   Link #42
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashkari
I can see why Ufotable is balancing out their budget here and there, but I wonder if they couldn't do it in a better fashion: frankly, the discussion between Tokiomi and Gilgamesh was nearly nothing close to "composition", or subtle direction. Meanwhile, am I the only one who was a bit taken aback by the CGI cars? I don't have any problem with CGI usually (such like mecha in guilty crown), but these ones were really out of place.
Of course, it isn't anything major whatsoever, but I think other "cutting" methods would have been possible, without breaking huge numbers for the animation.
I am far from being someone who's studied direction or anything of the sort, but I didn't really find that scene to be poorly done. Way I got it, they just seemed to pick an open angle where they could show both Toshaka and Tokiomi, and actually contrast Gil's "don't care" attitude with how respectful Tokiomi acted towards the person who, supposedly, is his servant. Same goes on as for when Gil suddenly decides to turn his back on Tokiomi and not even face him while he's speaking, which is another sign of his arrogant personality.

I really can't see how they'd do this in any other way. Maybe one can argue that they kept the same wide angle distance shot for a bit too much, but it seemed to be a conscious decision and not a way to save money, since they could easily have recycled the close-up frames they already had for both Tokiomi and Gil.

As for the CG cars, well, I don't particularly fancy them either, but it's not something very uncommon in anime these days. And at the very least they actually had the decendy to include well done shadows in the cuts where the car stopped below a tree.

On the actual episode, though, I really enjoyed it. Slow, but it still had enough to keep me entertained. The Iskandar and Waver duo easily steal the spotlight, and I had a good laugh at Rider's crazy delusions about buying top of the line aircrafts and raiding countries to raise the funds necessary in order to do so. His completely unpredictable personality contrasts rather okay with Waver, who's very timid, so gets taken aback really easily with Iskandar's constant change of topics. In one second he's talking about Clinton, the next he's bullying poor Waver for information on the enemy's servant, despite looking as if he simply didn't care for a good while.

The cliffhanger was pretty good, too. That track was definitely not very Kajiura-like, but it does seem that, whenever she works with ufotable, it brings out something different within her. Kara no Kyoukai score felt very Kajiura-ish at times, but we had some stuff that was definitely unlike her, like that one LONG track used in Paradox Spiral. It also pleases me that so far I really haven't noticed tracks being repeated, and they've been used really well. I find Kajiura always suffered with this in her old Beetrain outings, but so far in Fate/Zero, while there's a lot of parts where there is no music, they're certainly aiming to actually use pieces at the right moment. Thumbs up for it.

All in all, it was a nice episode, and I'm curious to see how the fight will play out next week. It seemed as if Rider also took notice of Lancer and Saber, so I have to wonder if he'll join the fray? A three-way battle would certainly be entertaining.