View Single Post
Old 2007-02-15, 19:12   Link #134
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlai View Post
How about this? The story ends anyways. That's it, you don't get to enjoy any more of it. So what does it matter whether they stay together or not?

As for Shirou's lifespan... I think it makes sense that he'll die the same age Archer died (mid-late 20's), younger than Kiritsugu was when he died. Heroes don't usually live very long.

The biggest thematic contribution to Archer = Shirou, for me, is that it emphatically points out that the hero of this story doesn't get to have a long happy life, whether or not he's triumphant at the end of THIS adventure. It rips your comicbook-superheroes security blanket right off, and plops you square into Nasu's life lesson of "heroism requires great sacrifices."

The hero-vs-dark-twin angle of Archer = Shirou, by contrast, is overplayed in stories. So that aspect has little impact with me.
Only the idiot heroes find something to die for. The smart heroes care more for their own security so they can pwn the bad guys more.