View Single Post
Old 2010-12-08, 00:28   Link #9
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by potchip View Post
Note regarding plot I was specifically referring to the source material, and LN formats in general. LNs come in chapters, most of which are self-contained. The plot threads are loose, though decent authors do remember what was written earlier and can draw upon past events, but 'plot' is just one out of many elements in LN's arsenal, never an essential element.
Ok, I see what you mean now. Yes, that's a very good assessment of light novels.

This level of plot also works well in a slice of life anime. I think that we might have been taking the term "overarching plot" a bit differently from one another.

I meant it to mean "anything not totally episodic". I get the sense that you probably took it to mean something as tight and ever-present as, say, the plot of Code Geass.

You're right that a slice of life anime doesn't need something as ever-present and tight as that in its plot.

Quote:

As for 'character development', I'll do a run down what can be deduced from the top of my head:
amber haired bitch:
is passionate about things she like
good academically/sports
is 100% tsuntsun to bro, except maybe ep3 end
does not compromise
understands the weight of responsibility and expectations of other people
not honest with her feelings to certain people/bad at expressing it
is possessive
siscon fetish, by extension moeblob
hate pretentious shows
hide otaku hobby from normal friends
typically do not ask for help -> need an excuse to ask bro to do things
try-hard and is usually successful

That's probably a good summation of her character, yes. And in fairness there's some good points here... but for a lot of people the very title you assigned to Kirino is what can be overriding.

I'll admit, though, that the way you lay it out as made me reconsider something - Kirino's character is constructed with a fair deal of thought and a certain type of consistency. I mean, the vast majority of her character elements seem to naturally fit with one another.

Quote:

black thing -
not honest with her feelings to certain people/bad at expressing it
kind behind the facade - loving sister
hate moe blob
like plotty shows
pretty good at handicraft
skilled gamer
poor social skills/interact with non-otakus
try-hard but not successful at certain things
On the other hand, I think you're a bit too hard on Kuroneko here. I love her cosplay persona. It's really a lot of fun and show's courage and charisma on her part, imo. I mean, not many people would have the sheer intestinal fortitude to go around everywhere dressed up like something straight out of the Touhou games or Rozen Maiden.

Quote:
Both characters really did not 'develop' in the sense change the why they behave.
True, I'll give you that.

Quote:
Finally as for why Kirino treats Kyousuke this way, I'm sure you've heard it all before. There's no point preaching a concept outright rejected by the other side.
Honestly, I thank you for sparing me. As such, I'll spare you the counter to that concept as well, lol.