View Single Post
Old 2012-11-12, 00:47   Link #3140
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
So we take the Nevada Test Site, put up a big wall, and give them all tickets to it. Let them secede there. We'll call it Whinerville, I guess.
I'll only accept that proposition if the Las Vegas area is allowed to secede and join California in a special tax-exclusion zone ("California benefits without California taxes!" That'll win votes alright).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Both sides say a lot, I would rather they just surprise us one day and say a that a deal has been made and the fiscal cliff was avoided.
I'd rather we fall off the cliff, ala Krugman. It's "just" a bunch of budget cuts and tax increases and, this is hilarious, barring a grand bargain or another Obama surrender, they are almost totally out of the control of pork barrel-addicted Congress! Even the military-industrial complex isn't going to be spared the cuts, and that alone may be worth all the lulz.

The deficit (chicken)hawks wanted their deficit solutions for so long, well here it is, now they're all flustered and scared and I'm thinking we might as well just ride down the so-called cliff with Thelma and Louise. Make a pretty bonfire of all the economic deadwood.

Oh, sure, it'll shock the economy right back into another round of recession and send the recovery crashing. So what. This was another demand driven recovery anyway and it was bound to fail, if not now then years down the road.

Not to mention it'll call the bluff on the favorite Republican strategy of "Nice little country you've got there. Shame if anything happened to it." So bring it on.

[/Internet tough guy act, add two spoonfuls of sarcasm]

[/Yes, I'm actually worried about the possibility of an immediate austerity shock (that worked so well in Europe). But, also yes, I'm a little more worried the President will surrender the election triumph for another "compromise" with the "defeated" GOP. Enough is enough.]