View Single Post
Old 2012-12-10, 15:46   Link #17
Echoes

What's the cut-off point for qualification?

If we're talking about the 2-3 minute series, I'm very underwhelmed by what I've seen from them so far. The comedy never hit home with me at all, and in shows like Recorder to Randsell it was terribly repetitive. However, the currently running Teekyu is actually really, really good for what it is. It's a mere 2 minutes, and rather than limit themselves to one-note short jokes, they truncate at least three times worth of material in there and just speed it up. It's absolutely bonkers, and leaves you wanting more.

If we're counting the "half-episode" shows that run as long as 10-12 minutes, I think there's a lot more enjoyable series to pick from. This format can do wonders for some shows, and there are a lot of full-length episode series that divide their episodes into two anyway, essentially giving us the same result.

Rec, which has already been brought up, used this format to great effect. You could breeze through the series, and the short segments were just cute and charming enough to leave you wanting more. I think Penguin Musume Heart was another series which benefited from the half-episode format. It was an extremely high-energy, anything goes comedy with yelling, random and absurd events occurring again and again. It could easily have outstayed its welcome if it went for the full episode length, as people say happened with Kill Me Baby. I didn't dislike it outright, but I also think it'd do better as a shorter show.

Conversely, the currently running Kyousougiga screams out for extended episode lengths to flesh out its intriguing world.

Overall, I'm all for more 10 minute episodes. That's a happy medium. They go down easy, and they have a good track record with me. 2-3 minutes, however, just doesn't do it for me. They're hardly worth tuning in for. If more stuff like Teekyu pops up though, I might just have to eat those words.