View Single Post
Old 2008-10-25, 13:32   Link #36
Langus
Optimus Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsukushii Hono'o View Post
Decided to try it...

Spoiler for "Mine":
A bit morbid, but a very good effort. With a character like Ulquiorra, sometimes what he doesn't say out loud is more important than what he does. For this group of lines in particular:

“Care about her?” Ulq scoffed “I don’t know what that is. I merely find her interesting. She’s not a fighter but she’s stronger than she looks. She’s gentle and kind even to those who would do her harm. I merely want to understand her. I want to understand what a heart, friendship and love is. This woman has shown it me. From this woman I can have the answers to my questions…That is all”

I think it may have been more true to Ulquiorra's character had he stopped at "I merely find her interesting." As a reader of the manga and watcher of the anime, I could picture him saying that - brushing off his connection to her as nothing more than a mere pass interest. The rest of what he says in that bit "She's not a fighter...etc." seems too talkative for him to still be "in character". Perhaps you could make that an internal monologue - which could work since we haven't a clue what he's thinking inside his head most times.

Hope that constructive criticism helps you in your future Ulquiorra fics (Oh! And try to make an effort to write out a character's whole name when you are referring to them, unless another character is referring to them by their nick name. It just seems kinda lazy otherwise).

Keep at it!