View Single Post
Old 2011-02-09, 13:45   Link #82
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, especially when I'm saying it coming from the position of someone who has used it.

"Killing" one person early is a great way to raise the Anyone Can Die specter. Regardless if you don't plan to kill anyone else, you've made your audience think that you can, so that raises he dramatic tension. The fact that quite a few people here are thinking that she will, is proof of that. When I wrote Future Tense, I always got a chuckle out of people who expected someone to die, and I even mocked fun of it by making it look like Sein had died, but she actually survived.

Killing Sayaka now would be overdoing it, and not needed. We already fear for life, so the main goal has been accomplished. Given the type of series this is, I'm gonna go with the "he plans to subvert tropes and conventions" line of thought. "Flags" are merely our own preconceived biases based on experience, which would be foolhardy to rely upon in this case.
Good points.

Not only that, but from a writer's perspective, somebody has to carry the magical girl action scenes of this anime going forward. Consider that each and every episode of this anime has had such action scenes in it:

Episode 1: Mami fights familiar/witch, wins

Episode 2: Mami fights witch, wins

Episode 3: Mami fights witch, loses and gets killed; Homura fights same witch, wins

Episode 4: Sayaka saves Madoka from a familiar/witch

Episode 5: Kyoko fights with Sayaka; Homura makes cliffhanger-esque appearance, saving Sayaka.

So, who carries the magical girl action scenes for the rest of this anime? It's a pretty safe bet that Homura vs. Kyoko will be a significant part of Episode 6, but I doubt that Homura can carry all of the magical girl action scenes of this show going forward.

Kyoko is currently in an antagonistic role, so she can't really carry them either.

Mami is dead.

Madoka isn't a magical girl yet (and I doubt that she'll become one soon; this anime is clearly dragging that out as long as it can).

So that means that Sayaka is still invaluable, even just for action scene purposes.