View Single Post
Old 2012-03-27, 08:24   Link #65
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
There is still an apparent difference, though. In the early seasons (particularly the middle two), they made changes to the anime despite having the flexibility to adapt the source as they more or less chose (to a certain point). With the last season, a few things notwithstanding, they appeared to be trying to gloss over all the novel content with about as much care as they could do given that they had about 20 minutes per novel (which is to say, not nearly enough by a long shot to be true to the source). I think what Nochgo is saying is still true to a certain degree that, in this season's case, the main enemy was the episode count, and not so much willingness to acknowledge the novels.

I do think, though, that strict faithfulness to the novels was never an objective of the production from day one. And to be fair, back in those days, it wasn't as common for anime to follow their source material as strictly as can sometimes happens now. I think expectations have changed a bit over the years (perhaps in part because of shows like this).

Anyway, these are things that should probably be discussed in the overall impressions thread, since it really isn't about Episode 12 in particular.
I think Znt anime is part of the reason attitudes towards shows changed. The ZnT novels is pretty popular while anime season one had a good run all and all it just wasnt all that great as one could expect and one of the reasons to blame was a lot of changes placed in the storyline.

Season one already made changes (not needed to fit the but simply for a variety). This however eventually came to bite them in the ass as others seasons that followed had to take in those changes and write the scenes similar but still different based on the changes. The fact that for a season 2 and 3 they had horrible director and script writer teamwork did not help the matters any.

Season 4 tried to follow the novels more but with the screw ups coming mostly from season 2 and 3 and a very compressed rate it was impossible to do. It could be done bit better but not much.

Season 4 could be better but the main blame still goes to shitty season 2 and 3 as well as the need to fit a whole freaking novel volume in 20 minutes while other shows usually take 4 episodes at least on one volume.

On the other hand the shows that followed closely the source usually did better than those that did not. And the argument that "it would be boring you need something new to surprise those who read the novels" lost any credibility.

All and all I think ZnT certainly played its role as a bad example of what heppens when anime practically rapes the source plotline and the struggles trying to create their own (whic in ZnT case mostly consisted of the variety of numbers boobs bounced and Louise ran explosion on Saito).