View Single Post
Old 2013-03-25, 03:38   Link #786
whsie

Haven't been on this forum for a while so I'll chime in on some of the works mentioned in the last two pages.

Strike the Blood is decent, but not great. The closest comparison I can give is Campione without the mythology. Rather than 7 Campiones, we essentially have 4 Vampire Lords. And like Campione, each have their own territory. One owns Europe, one owns USA, one owns South America... (I may have gotten the regions wrong). Our protagonist is the latest of the 4 and he inherited his powers from the previous lord. Unlike Campione where Gudou unlocks the majority of his powers quickly, the protagonist is slowly unlocking one beast/power per book. He has 12 total and he has unlocked 4 (with a 5th appearing), so he has a while to go.

Divine's Blade Successor (剣神の継承者) is a decent read, but like someone said before, not great. It's somewhat cliched, but at least the story is pretty well written. There's still plenty of intrigue with the main character as his master was the legendary Sword Saint or probably the strongest of the 7 Sword Masters. There's also the hint of an incredibly powerful alien race in the latest volumes.

Rising Rydeen or 学戦都市アスタリスク first and foremost reminded me of Infinite Stratos. Not only is the setting (battle city) and artwork similar, both protagonist also have a elder sister formerly at the school.

All 3 are decent enough reads for me to give a green light. None of them are truly unique like High School DxD or as deep as Rakuin no Monsho, but they're enjoyable reads.

^ I had high expectations for Unbreakable Machine Dolls only to be greatly disappointed in it. I dropped it completely (whereas the 3 I listed above are enjoyable).
whsie is offline   Reply With Quote