View Single Post
Old 2008-02-20, 06:18   Link #219
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
The way its been looking lately, Obama is going to win the Presidency out of reasons that are totally unpolitical.
Political elections tend to be anything but political. Hype and marketing create images of things that don't exist. Does anyone actually expect Obama to change the world? No. He's just telling people what they want to hear, and they're eating it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loniat View Post
What are you implying with that?

Are you seriously trying to trace such a parallel or is this the worst straw man argument in this thread?

Thank you for your profane and unhelpful attempt to shutdown discussion.
Nice attempt at turning the argument back on Vexx. His point is that Germany was in a similar situation, where the society wanted to blame everyone but themselves. Along comes a charismatic man, a strong speaker, who promises to make everything better and promises sweeping change.

Sometimes the change you want isn't the change you get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
It irks me however to see that Americans think they should leave Iraq as soon as possible. That strikes me as being very irresponsible. The US created the current problems in Iraq. You own the problem, and you can't leave until stability is restored.
I agree with you. Keep in mind that not *all* Americans think that, but the growing sentiment is we shouldn't have been there in the first place. Which saddens me because people who were saying that years ago were branded as traitors and unpatriotic. Pulling out of Iraq now would mean a power vacuum the likes we haven't seen in a long time. It would destabilize the region and possibly erupt a massive war.

I'd rather we gave it our all, but agendas get in the way of doing what should have been done in the first place. Not a unique problem, but it's a problem America has now.