View Single Post
Old 2013-01-01, 10:45   Link #39
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Unfortunately, there's just no perfect way to handle the "2 Cours show that begins in the Fall" situation. Each solution has its own distinct pros and cons.

Let's look at the possible solutions:

1) Let a show be nominated in every year that it's airing. Reckoner already explained the serious problems with this. Having the exact same two-cour show win the same category(s) two years in a row would just look bad, imo. Not to mention I think it's a bit unfair for some shows to be able to win two years in a row while other shows are only able to win one year. If a show is an actual sequel, then that's different of course, but that's not the case for new two-cour shows that start airing in the Fall.

2) Shows are only eligible in the year that they started airing. This obviously would be silly, since then some shows would never be voted for on the basis of their entirety.

3) Push back the awards until Spring, after two cour Fall shows end. It was felt that this would seriously disadvantage one cour shows for last Winter, since those shows would be over a year old by the time people could vote on them. Plus, it just seems more fitting for annual awards to be situated as close to January 1st as possible. Also, even with this solution some shows could "fall through the cracks" (like a split cour show that starts in the Fall).

4) Shows are only eligible in the year that they finished airing. This is what we opted for. It is unfortunate in some ways - I myself would love to nominate Psycho-Pass and Shin Sekai Yori in some categories - But those shows will have their chance next year.
I would have to point out that such things like "it won twice in a row" should not matter. If the show was that good, than it deserves to win both times.