Thread: On the hunt!
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-06, 21:06   Link #8
kitten320

Hhhmmm, I see... can't say that I 100% understand what you want but I have a better idea now so will try to suggest the following:

Ao no Exorcist - main hero is similar to MC by the fact that both of them have power of monster within them and are hated by majority. There are several conflicts arising and series have some nice action moments. Besides blue flame always looks good.

Baccano! - a very simple story but written in a way that makes you engaged and want to learn more. Huge variety of characters and each one with their own moto and story. Great action scenes as well. I'm sure you'll find characters of your liking there. Whatever questions you might have at first, will be answered later on. 1st episode is just an introduction, reall stuff starts in episode 2.

Berserk - if you don't mind something older than this is a great choice. It has engaging story and manages to flash out the characters well. Battles involve a lot of strategies and are fun to watch. Some major conflicts arise that lead to some dark times.
There are new movies coming out but I would recommend old anime over them. Movies simply miss a lot of material and feelings.

Death Note - this is a must for any anime watcher, especially if you like suspense and mind games.

I'll second FMA series, actually both seasons. Series have great vast of characters, each one with their own goal. Engaging story and battles. First season is an anime original material while Brotherhood follows manga. Only several first episodes are similar, afterwards series take 2 different takes on what is happening. I liked both seasons but if one of them won't fit you, try another one.

I duno if this will work but I'll still suggest it: Ga-Rei Zero. The main theme of the series is "Will you kill the one you love because of love?". Series have mood switch though. At first it is dark then it goes into happy flashback which eventually leads to the dark beginning and conclusion.
For me Yomi is one of the most interesting characters and the ones I got really attached to.

Hunter x Hunter - shounen with some interesting characters. Not too strong action wise at first, but gets better as it goes. My favorite arc is Phantom arc. There are old and new series. Which are better is hard to tell since both have their pluses and minuses. New version has faster start. I would recommend to watch new series and maybe later watch older version for comparison.

InuYasha - people have mixed emotions about this one but I loved it. It has big variety of characters and each one has their story and role to play. The setting is quiet unique too, it is mostly based in old times.

Katekyo Hitman Reborn! - since I didn't like SAO, I thought I could try to recommend another show that was not of my liking. There is a chance that you might like it since you like SAO. Series also have quiet big fanbase. It did have some nice action scenes. Just to warn you though, first 20 episodes are mostly useless fillers which for most part can be skipped. Really story starts after that.

Mirai Nikki - it has a similar concept to F/Z series but at the same time different. Several people are selected and given a future diary that can predict what will happen next. However, the way information is written differs for everyone. It depends on the way they kept their real diaries. Some people wrote about everything, others wrote about specific people and so on.
Using these diaries they have to fight each other and the one who wins will become the new God.

Monster - detective series. A surgeon once saved a child's life. However, years later he learns that the same child turned into a serial killer. To make it worse he is a suspect now. Surgeon is determined to stop the "Monster" and clean his own name. A lot of interesting characters and mysteries.

Seirei no Moribito - more down to earth series with a more realistic take on things. A female bodyguard Balsa is forced to protect a prince who is sentenced to death by his own father. Why?
Pursuers are after them!
Series have nice action scenes interesting characters with different goals and some interesting takes on how to deal with the pursuers.

Sword of the Stranger - this is a movie. It is not very strong in character development but if you liked Samurai Champloo, I'm sure you'll love this one for it has awesome sword fights.

Toaru Majutsu no Index - interesting series where main theme is magic VS science, which one is better? Some cool characters and battles with unique powers. Some characters create lighting, some use teleportation, others use fire and so on.

Hope some of these will be to your liking.

Last edited by kitten320; 2013-01-06 at 21:18.
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote