View Single Post
Old 2012-06-14, 17:56   Link #9494
Wolfenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Emukae didn't decide to "sacrifice" herself. Up until the last moment she was still "maybe even going for the win". I hardly think she was trying to deliberately kill herself, she merely thought the risk was worth it for what she would potentially be able to accomplish.
Not really how the scene was portrayed. The whole confession and erasing her regrets before being killed implied to me that she indeed knew she was going to die.

Then Naze stated it herself, and I just knew it wasn't going to sit right with me.

Quote:
Emukae didn't mention anything about being "weak and useless" until she was literally about to die. Even though she acknowledged she wasn't powerful (compared to the Suitor, not compared to her allies whom she indeed outlasted) Emukae was persistently shown believing that she could actually accomplish something. That's not Minus; that's the opposite of Minus. The "useless" and only true Minus part of her mentality only came in the final moments when she took the hit, was about to die, and truly not accomplish anything.
That's the whole point of it. Ultimately all Nishio did in the end was emphasize on how useless she was and had to be saved.

Not what I'd consider a good thing to do with her character, I mean, aside from all the Medaka gloryfing he's still doing, and I don't know why.

Quote:
Kugurugi's statement that Emukae's Minus wouldn't work (on her) didn't have anything to do with her ability. Kugurugi explicitly stated that her domination over the SC to that point had been done without her style, with only pure physical ability. Since Emukae's Minus requires the use of her hands, it's obvious Kugurugi only meant that Emukae couldn't touch her. Kugurugi was merely stating her complete superiority over Emukae to the degree that even Emukae's sole weapon wouldn't be any use against her--it wasn't a statement indicating mechanics of their abilities, rather only indicating attitude.
Not exactly, this Emukae can rot the very air. True that the permafrost of the ground impossibilitated Raffrafflesia: Twisted Version, but her air-rotting shouldn't be something you can avoid.

Plus, her wording: 'Sadly, it dosen't work on me' does make it sound simply like the skill just won't work on her. And if she's immune to rotting the very air, well, I don't know what to say.

Quote:
Whether or not Devil Style is in play, Kumagawa's only actual offensive capability is his ability to see others' weaknesses. This isn't enough for him to be able to take on truly strong characters in something like a fair or one-on-one battle. Given that Kugurugi has just been stated to be a Suitor "closest to Medaka", I'd say it's hardly a given here that Kumagawa will be a match for her on any sort of direct level. For Kumagawa to stand a chance at actually beating Kugurugi, he will absolutely have to depend on the others there and teamwork.
That's just it though. He might not win outright, but there's absolutely no way for him to lose.

However, there's reason to believe that he'd eventually win, given that he's probably got the absolute best stamina ever, or can just turn that into nothing. Not to mention that his attacks are obviously no joke.

But we'll see. I only said there's now way he'll lose, not that he'll 1-on-1 the Suitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosu
The funny part is you're judging character development... before, well you know... it actually completes its course
If he cleans up what I consider 'bad' about what he wrote, he'll obviously get credit from me for that. until t hen though, I think I have every write to call out on his writting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagi
I'm especially bitter about Wolfenstein, since he was the one trying to convince people that Zenkichi's altered god mode wasn't an asspull and it wasn't bad writing, while now he is saying Nisio is a bad writer/made too many bad decisions this chapter simply because the things he wanted for Emukae didn't happen.
I don't know what you're so perturbed about. The ability that had a clear forshadowing to it being shown isn't bad writting, and ultimately made a total of zero difference to the fight. Nishio might as well not even have written it, and no one would tell the difference.

Meanwhile, Kumagawa showing up out of nowhere, with absolutely zero foreshadowing, and this:

Spoiler:

All leads people to believe he was imprisioned. Which is why his appeareance was basically one huge troll. It dosen't even need to be called ass-pull since he clearly did it to not have Emukae die, that's not what's bothering anyone, even though Kumagawa's appereance is pretty distracting.

The problem is his writting of Emukae's character development is extremely flawed, and he used Kumagawa as a means to keep that active.

Or, the other option.

He wanted a reason to re-introduce Kumagawa. Which ultimately led him to mischaracterize how Emukae was chapters ago, and give her some new-found adoration for the perfect Medaka, whom she now wants to be like.

Clearly, Nishio has not read Naruto recently.

Either way, I see both as pretty bad writting. If you don't like that opinion, you're free to try and challenge it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagi
I don't claim to be a true Nisio fan and as I said, a true fan can have negative opinions. However, they at least should be reserved enough to not jump the gun and talk pages and pages making ever growing numbers of assumptions based on a single chapter—and it's very last page nonetheless.
This is a forum for discussion. Discussions entail assumptions. Assumptions and theories(not to mention slandering) are all fun.

I'm not even a fan of the guy, I just like this one manga. I have no reserves about calling any writter on what I believe to be bad character development. That's what a discussion is for.
Wolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote