View Single Post
Old 2012-11-25, 21:39   Link #1395
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Perhaps something more simple. Fossils. Proof of life having existed off the Earth (at least at one time).

Or the fun one....Oil (or insert very valuable substance here). Enough to warrent say, as Rush for land claims and settlers/squatters. All the space program and commerce needs is proper (profitable) motivation to get the colonization of Mars started.

(And I've heard a lot of speculation into what it on Mars already since hearing about this about three hours ago).
Proof of life would be the most breathtaking, but doubtful outcome. A valuable commodity would be interesting and could indeed have far-reaching consequences as you say... problem is, the amount of "x" commodity would have to be very large (relatively speaking in terms of whatever substance it is) to serve as an impetus for colonization/mining, given the currently massive costs associated with such a venture. As it is just now being discovered I can guess this is not the case either. Most likely it is some kind of material that will give clues towards water once being on Mars or some material whose presence would fundamentally change our understanding of Mars' composition or the formation of our solar system... Either way, while fascinating, not likely to be too exciting to the general public. Hopefully I'm just being a pessimist..

Also, as far as I know, oil can only be present where life is present, or was at one point present (and was subsequently fossilized), thus the term 'fossil fuel,' however I will admit to being (embarrassingly) ignorant on this subject.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote